STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

11.15.2012

Like A Virgin


 
Fashion is my passion, but I have always been moved and inspired by music.  In fact, music influences fashion a great deal -- Elvis, The Beatles, Jim Morrison, David Bowie, Blondie, Sex Pistols, Duran Duran, Nirvana, Gaga, Beyonce... shall I go on?  I've gone to a lot of concerts in my lifetime, but throughout the years I have never made it to one Madonna show.  I was, in a sense, a virgin.  The other night, my favorite neighbor/friend/jewelry designer/blogger Wendy Brandes emailed me at 6pm  for an 8pm show!  (Initially she thought her tix were for the Tuesday performance!).  Ooops.  Crisis averted!  Wendy just saw Madonna in September at Yankee Stadium, but she would have slapped herself if she'd missed her this time.  So, I hopped to it and got ready to get my Vogue on!
 
 
Wendy and I have been hitting a lot of concerts this year from Rodriguez to Adam Ant, and the GoGo's to our most recent adventure in Brooklyn, but Madge's show at the Garden was by far the grandest.  Actually, the timing was quite relevant because lately, I've witnessed a flurry of stories, comments and opinions concerning age-appropriate clothing.  Is a mini skirt okay for a woman over forty?  Are "mom jeans" a requirement after a certain age?  And how low is too low when it comes to cleavage-revealing tops?  I'm sick of it.  Why do people insist on creating rules?  You know Wendy's motto, "Wear What You Want!" 

doing my Madonna cheer sans pom poms
silver printed wool motorcycle jacket: STACY LOMMAN/Fall 2011
dress with metail chain detail: Alberta Ferretti
rib knit arm warmers: STACY LOMMAN/Fall 2012
booties: Ted Baker
fishnets: Wolford
 
posing with some random dude who wouldn't leave until Wendy snapped a photo!
 
To me, it's simple -- does the outfit look good, does it flatter your body type and is it tasteful?  If a woman can answer "yes" to these three questions, then I don't think age is a factor.  I don't know about you, but I've seen plenty of twenty-five-year-olds look trashy or inappropriate in a micro mini or a pair of uber low hip hugger jeans.  Thank you very little for creating the muffin top girls!  But seriously, as I watched Madonna dance her ass off (and show it up close and personal to an audience of 20,000 on the giant screen in the stadium), changing from body-conscious skintight leather to pretty much a bra and panties, I marveled at her fifty-four year old physique.
 
 
Photo: Wendy Brandes (to read Wendy's post on the concert, click HERE)
 
Obviously, MDNA is a superstar and a performer and it's her job to look perfect and to wear daring and controversial costumes, but the point is -- If you've got it flaunt it.  Be proud of what you have and what you've accomplished.  Be confident and if it looks good, WEAR IT!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! It must be something in the air because lately I have been plagued by the fear of "age appropriateness". I recently lost almost 30 lbs and even as I rejoice in my ability to not stretch the jeans I put on every morning, I still have that worry "Am I too old to dress like this? Would people think that I am trying too hard?" After reading your post and Wendy's (that's how I found you) I feel so much better now! Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me!! And I love your attitude! Just wear what makes you feel good and what you're comfortable in - that's the most important thing. Congrats on your recent weight loss. You go girl!

      Delete
  2. What you have to say about age and fashion makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wonder about this all the time:). I can't tell if the things that feel too revealing now would have felt that way when I was young, since when I was young I never dressed to show off:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came here from Wendy's blog - wonderful post - bookmarking for future reference when I have a wobble about wearing shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you stopped by!! Look foward to hearing more from you :)

      Delete
  5. Madonna is my age and I'm awe of her abilities!

    ReplyDelete