STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

1.28.2011

Shine Brightly!

Snow is not my friend.  We do not like each other.  I am a warm weather girl, but I cannot imagine actually living anywhere other than New York City, so I suck it up and take the bad with the good.  I have, on occasion, contemplated Los Angeles, but every time I visit I feel a bit alien and am anxious to return home to my city.  I have been accused of being an elitist New Yorker (granted, it was by my parent's neighbor in FL who had to ask what a fig was when I described how I had stuffed them with blue cheese and wrapped them in prosciutto for an appetizer).  But, I digress...


So, I just took the long way around or the scenic route to simply say that I hate snow, but love New York!  Suffice it to say that it takes a very special occasion to get me out of my sweatpants and warm, dry apartment and into sub-freezing temperatures, wicked winds and slushy puddles.  Well, yesterday was one of those very special occasions.  I risked the tundra and nearly got 'taxi splashed' all over my charmeuse to attend the Fashion Group International's Rising Star Awards.  My very dear friend and talented jewelry designer, Wendy Brandes, was among the five finalists in the fine jewelry category.  BRAVO!

Center: Rising Star finalist in the fine jewelry category, Wendy Brandes
Left to Right: me, BarbaraB, Christine, WendyB, Alyssa, Tina

Tensions were high in Cipriani's grand ballroom, but Team Wendy was confident.  FGI President, Margaret Hayes, introduced host, Jamie Pallot of Conde Nast who cleverly joked, "Snow is the new black."  Keynote speaker, Norma Kamali gave an inspiring speech and commended all of the finalists for achieving what only the most elite in the industry have.  And that is not an understatement.  Although WendyB may not have won (this time!), it was an extremely close race and she could just as easily have taken home the award yesterday.  Congratulations Wendy!!! 

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have been there at all if it weren't for you nominating me. I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love "snow is the new black". Sounds like a fun event - making it to the final 5 is fabulous - good luck to Wendy next time

    ReplyDelete