STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

11.04.2013

DEVO Wears PRADA!

I love Halloween.  I'm not sure if it's the designer in me that enjoys coming up with an idea and costume, or if it's the opportunity to be something/somebody else for one night.  This year, my pal and neighbor, Wendy Brandes suggested that we go as  DEVO band members. Since I'm a huge fan of the group (read about them HERE in one of my previous posts), I was all for it.  We ordered our energy domes and were good to go!

DEVO Divas!
*to order Wendy Brandes' "DEVO" letter rings check out her website!

the REAL deal!

Thankfully, we are secure ladies because it takes a confident woman to don black Bermudas and black grandpa socks.  It's not a good a look. But, we both believe -- if you are going to do something, do it the right way and do it all the way!

my grandpa socks and Prada sneaks

reapplying my lippy

And so we did.  Energy domes, sleeveless turtles, Bermudas, safety glasses, black shoes and yes, even the grandpa socks.  And red lipstick. Okay, we had to put our own spin on it!!  Most girls use Halloween as an excuse to wear something skimpy and hooker-ish, but not Wendy and me.  No sir! Here is an actual tweet that Wendy posted while we were getting ready...


This was actually Halloween #2 for us since we attended a friend's disco party the night before, so we did, in fact, have our sexy night of costumes. But, now we were ready to cut loose and act like complete dorks.  Yes, I just used the word dork.  I believe it's making a comeback.

Top photo by Neil Zlozower -- from DEVO's website
Bottom photo -- me 

We decided to go dancing at a cheesy (in a good way!) retro club in midtown called, Culture Club. Our costumes were perfect for the eighties club, so we walked in like we owned the place.  Okay, the twenty-something working at the ticket window asked what we were supposed to be and I almost passed out, but we didn't let that ruin our night.

Wendy & I posing in front of a DEVO mural at the club

Thank goodness the DJ had a clue.  When I walked up to him and said, "Do I even have to ask?" he smiled, patted my energy dome and popped on 'Whip It' right away.  And so we did.  We whipped it real good.  We whipped it into shape.  We dominated the dance floor, acted like fools and loved every minute of it.

WHAM! chooses life.  DEVO chooses energy.

posing with Rocky, Richard Simmons and Wonder Woman

It was a very fun evening filled with nostalgia.  We even made friends. The WHAM! boys, George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley, were there. Rocky Balboa was (on crack, perhaps?) running around like a lunatic, shirtless and waving his flag.  When 'Eye Of the Tiger' came on I made sure to stay out of his way!  We also met Richard Simmons and Wonder Woman.  Rufus the dog was there, a male Madonna and even a dude with some sort of gadget offering "free breast exams."  Gee, how generous.  I still can't believe nobody dressed as Prince. Where is Dave Chappelle when you need him?!

Chappelle as Prince

2 comments: