STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

1.14.2013

Golden Globes Post #2

STACY LOMMAN - Spring 2013
Photo: Shane LaVancher
copyright Stacy Lomman, 2012
I've already done a post on the Golden Globes which concentrated on the humor rather than the fashion because the humor was far better.  However, being a designer, I felt compelled and perhaps obligated to share my two cents.  Right off the bat, I'm going to give Anne Hathaway a shout out because she looked very pretty but, more importantly, she was wearing a corset and skirt combo and not a dress.  I could have loaned her this look from my spring '13 collection...

two piece ensemble from my spring '13 collection
 lace up (back) corset top and mermaid skirt in brocade
Photo: Shane LaVancher
Model: Stepanie Doggett

Anne Hathaway in Chanel two piece ensemble
Photo credit: Getty

Overall, I didn't see anything that took my breath away or that was risky or even ugly enough to cause a buzz.  For once, I just want to see somebody break the mold.  All of these actresses look interchangeable.  I'm bored.  And Claire Danes is gorgeous and talented, but she shows me no real sense of style.  I think she wore the same dress as last year at the Oscars, just in a different color!
Okay, maybe the dress is fairly different, but they're both pretty much a drapey blob of solid color.
(left): Danes in Versace at the 2013 Golden Globes / (right): Danes wearing Lanvin in February, 2012 at the Oscars.

I was happy to see celebs showing off some skin, after all, why not?  They invest enough time and money into personal trainers, personal chefs, life coaches, spa treatments, colonics, etc. -- don't you think they should flaunt their efforts? 
Eva Longoria pulls a "Jolie" with a high slit
Photo credit: Getty

One of the skintastic trends to grace the red carpet last night was the plunging neckline.  I heard so much chatter about this on Twitter during the show, I was surprised by the amount of people who found it to be distasteful.  Well, I wholeheartedly disagree, thank you very little!  I've been designing pieces like that since I was a teenager.

STACY LOMMAN, Spring 2012
black sheer cocktail dress with plunging neckline and hot pink lining
Photo: Randy Brooke 
Model: Katja
Katharine McPhee in Theyskens Theory
Photo credit: Getty

We also saw a lot of skin through sheer fabrics including lace, a la Jennifer Lopez.  I'll be the first to say that I'm not a fan of hers, but the dress looked great.  And, like the plunging necklines, JLo's dress was the recipient of a swarm of nasty tweets.  I'm beginning to think that people don't like to see other people looking good.  Ah, women can be so catty.  I, for one, feel just the opposite and it's a good thing too because I can't afford to be that way in my business -- I wouldn't sell any dresses!

JLo in Zuhair Murad looking smart with Casper Smart
Photo credit: Getty

To wrap it up, I'll list some of my best and worst dressed for your entertainment...

I loved Kate Hudson in McQueen, but was very disappointed with her hair.  Pull it up!  It would be more sophisticated that way and it wouldn't cover up the gorgeous detail on the front yoke.  Shame on her stylist!
Photo: Getty

Best dressed couple.  Daniel Craig in Tom Ford and Rachel Weisz in Louis Vuitton.
Chic, stylish and unique. 
Photo credit: Getty

Most fun!  Helena Bonham Carter in Dolce & Gabanna with a fun clutch (WendyB you MUST get this!) and Tim Burton.
Photo credit: Getty

Worst dressed: Giulianorexic, oops I meant, Giuliana Rancic in Celia Kritharioti
sorry, but she looks like a head on a stick
Photo credit: Getty

4 comments:

  1. I ALREADY HAVE THAT CLUTCH! Have I not shown it to you?!

    I want to say things about how I agree with many of your opinions but I'm too busy laughing over "thank you very little." That always makes me hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen that clutch of Wendy's on her blog. I'm going to find a way to use "thank you very little" in a conversation this week. It's perfect. Your plunging neckline dress is sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have it all down Stacy!

    Oddly, I have that red lips clutch too. A really ebay score.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete