STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

3.07.2013

Great Minds Think Alike

As a designer, I like to be unique.  I always hated to be copied, even as a young girl.  So, most of the time I don't like to see other designers or other people doing similar things to me.  "Be an individual," I scream in my head!  But, there are those rare instances when an idea or design occurs simultaneously for two people, and that is a different story entirely.  In that case, I enjoy a type of camaraderie and I feel a certain sense of validity, as if to say, "See, I am right.  I knew I had a good idea!" 
Left: Rick Owens, Fall 2012 / Right: Stacy Lomman, Fall 2012

When I saw this piece from Rick Owens on the runway the same season as my "Mod Collection" (Fall 2012), I experienced that feeling.  The two looks are very different, yet they're kind of the same.  I love that about design -- two people can have a similar vision, yet the way it's translated is completely different.  But, that's exactly what design is, at least in terms of fashion.  Everything has been done already.  Nothing is really being invented anymore, so it's all about the individuals' point of view and interpretation of an idea.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! Definitely a case of very great minds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. They're similar, but I prefer your interpretation, with the design in the back and the extra vertical zipper line. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're right. Add to that the wearer who interprets yet again!

    ReplyDelete