STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

4.11.2012

Inspiration / Interpretation

Designers are always striving to come up with new ideas, new direction and trend.  However, in the world of fashion, most everything has been done already -- many times over.  The peplum is an emerging trend this season, but it's certainly nothing new.  If you didn't own a garment with some sort of peplum treatment back in the eighties, then you must have been living under a rock (or you weren't born yet!).  And the peplum wasn't exactly a new idea back in the eighties either -- it had been done before.  Trends and styles constantly recycle.  In fashion, designers reinterpret these ideas and trends by putting their "spin" on them and making them look fresh and current.  I'm no different.  I've mentioned before that my fall 2012 collection was based on the "mod" scene from the 1960's.  Actually, one of my greatest influences as a young designer was visionary, André Courrèges.  I saw one of his 60's suits featured in Connoisseur Magazine in 1986 and I tore the page out and kept it ever since.  I always wanted to do something that payed homage to the suit and to the great designer so, in February, I finally did.

INSPIRATION

André Courrèges suit, 1965
(photo source left, right)

INTERPRETATION
  
STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK / Fall 2012
Photos: Shane LaVancher

To view the rest of my fall, "Modern World" collection and to hear me speak about my influence and about Courrèges, check out the video below (directed by Steve Lars).

4 comments:

  1. There's nothing new under the sun! But I like your version of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your interpretation of the suit is great and your fall collection is amazing! The blue cape is everything!!!! Such a beautiful bold statement piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work!! The true artists get inspired by true art and they often make their creation stand out while being totally respectful to the original!! And I agree with WendyB, nothing is 'new', it is the way we see it! Glad I found your blog! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog
    Let's Twitter Together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin and I love your interpretation of the Courrèges suit! The blue cape is still my favorite piece though :).

    ReplyDelete