STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

11.22.2012

Thankful

On this day of thanks, it's important to take a break from stuffing our faces to appreciate what we have.  First of all, we're all lucky enough to be stuffing our faces (at least I assume that is the case with the people reading this blog) so that's one blessing I'm going to count.  I'm also grateful to have supportive friends and family, I'm grateful for my health (which I must remember not to keep taking for granted) and I'm grateful that I have something in my life that drives me... something I'm passionate about.
 
wearing an outfit from my new collection
 
The other evening, I was invited by my good friend, Wendy Brandes and her husband, MrB. to the Committee to Protect Journalists International Press Freedom Awards at the Waldorf Astoria.  Wendy, now a beloved blogger and award-winning jewelry designer, was a journalist in her previous career and is still involved in the community.
 
At the dinner, four journalists from Brazil, China, Kyrgyzstan and Liberia were recognized for their investigative work and each one of these incredible pioneers had put their lives on the line to expose truths and report on taboo topics.  In fact, two of the four awardees were arrested by the governments of the countries where they did their investigative reports and, therefore, were unable to attend the event and receive their well-deserved accolades.  The willingness to go to jail for what one believes in -- now THAT is passion.
 
posing with awardee Mae Azango to my right, Wendy Brandes to my left and MrB. in the back row
 
I cannot imagine being controlled and the idea of being incarcerated for fighting for something I believe in is unfathomable.  So, on this day of thanks, I am grateful for my freedom of speech and freedom of expression.  After all, what would I do without creative expression?  I'd probably live a very empty life as a "closeted designer."
 
Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to come to this amazing event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Stacy, what Martin and I admire most about you is your incredible dedication and hard work. It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete