STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

5.20.2010

Stavrinos

Illustration by George Stavrinos for the New York Times
(dress design by Mary McFadden)

No... not STAVROS, I said STAVRINOS.  There is a huge difference between Paris Hilton's on-again, off-again man candy, Stavros Niarchos and the brilliant illustrator, George Stavrinos.  The latter was an amazing artist who sketched those fabulous Bergdorf's ads in the New York Times.

"Woman with Six Portraits" by George Stavrinos, 1980

Born in 1948 in Masachusetts, Stavrinos went RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) to pursue his studies.  After graduating (in 1970) and studying for a year in Rome, Stavrinos made his way to New York and soon after, his work started appearing in The New York Times, Gentleman's Quarterly and Cosmopolitan. In the 1980's he created a series of drawings that were used to promote the New York City Opera.

Stavrions sketch "Figure with Sculpture" for Bergdorf Goodman, 1979

Apparently, the master even *taught at the Fashion Institute of Technology in the 80's which was, unfortunately for me, prior to my days at my alma mater.  Sadly, the great Stavrinos passed away in 1990 at the young age of 42 due to complications from pneumonia.

"Ladies in Black Leather" by Stavrinos, 1984

Still, Stavrinos was one of my biggest inspirations despite his relatively short career.  I found the realism of his fashion figures refreshing.  I tried to copy his style to teach myself to draw, but I never quite came close to his genius.


*UPDATE 5.22.2010:  I received some information from Brad Harmann...
George never actually taught at FIT. This is a common misconception that I was able to clear up just recently. He did come in every so often to do a demo and review student portfolios and advise. But he never taught.

7 comments:

  1. HE WAS A GREAT GREAT TALENT ........FUNNY I WAS THINKING THAT THE TIME MIGHT BE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DRAWINGS FOR FASHION ADVERTISING

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny that i was just thinking that the time may be right to return to fashion illustration again for advertising

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh...I wish I were working for Bergdorfs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy,

    George never actually taught at FIT. This is a common misconception that I was able to clear up just recently. He did come in every so often to do a demo and review student portfolios and advise. But he never taught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met George Stavrinos & saw his work up close when he spoke at Syracuse University in 1984 at a fashion illustration symposium. He was very generous with his time, and the detail in his work was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met George while a Senior at RISD, where he got his BFA in Illustration a few years earlier. He was very generous with his time and advice. A very gifted craftsman and his work has a classic elegance that, for me, is timeless. The clothes date the pieces, perhaps, but the eye and hand are masterful. A very gifted and generous man who left us way too early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All,

    George actually got his BFA in Graphic Design from RISD. His design skills show through in his compositions.

    Brad Hamann
    Eastern New Mexico University

    ReplyDelete