STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK - Luxury Apparel

STACY LOMMAN : NEW YORK  -  Luxury Apparel

1.20.2010

Tacky!

As many of you know I am not a cold weather girl, but one positive point these chilly months provide is the opportunity to wear more clothes.  Leather pants, cashmere sweaters, a variety of boots and outerwear are key components of winter dressing.  Every year I notice a couple of tiny issues that really get under my skin -- little pet peeves, I suppose.  I see so many people (men and women) wearing coats with the label still tacked to the sleeve.  There is a reason it is tacked rather than topstitched all around -- because it is meant to be removed.  I don't see the point in advertising that you're wearing 100% Wool.  I don't even care if it's 100% Cashmere, it's 100% stupid to leave the label on the sleeve!  I'm so tempted to enlighten these people, but it just seems mean.


this label is barely attached with two loose tacks on either side -- clearly it is not permanent



My other little annoyance has to do with tacking as well.  Inverted pleats and back vents are usually loosely tacked with a large "X" stitch when the garments are shipped as this keeps them looking nice and prevents folding and creasing.  However, this stitch is meant to be removed after the item is purchased because when a jacket is on an actual body, it fills out and therefore needs room to move as we move.  Also, when the "X" stitch is not released the pleat pulls open in the center which looks especially unflattering across someones backside!

Jacket by Gryphon -- notice how the vent is no longer tacked shut at the bottom?

So let me hear it!  What are some of your pet peeves when it comes to fashion faux pas??

6 comments:

  1. I've met a LOT of people who have no idea that these things should be pulled out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those 2 are right up there! I cannot stand it when lovely women, who are not stick thin, wear pants a good size (or 2) too small because they can't stand the idea of deviating from their college ideal. Stomachs that needlessly puff the crease out of zippers - when a garment a size up would lie flat and be flattering - bug me no end. Thing is those women end up looking much less svelte, and chic, for the too-small size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhahhaha yeah i notice these too...
    but i see so many people do it ... sometimes i have to think... am i the one in the wrong? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate nude panty hose. I worked with a woman who insisted on wearing them year-round and it was like nails on a chalk board. I also am not a fan of scuffed shoes. Just annoying to me. I don't understand why you wouldn't want it to be polished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just about to skip down to the comments and say: "Say, what about those guys who don't know how to untack their vents!?" but I showed some restraint and read the whole post, and I was rewarded for my patience shortly.

    We think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear...i could go on and on...but i won't...
    one pet peeve is someone trying to convince you that their "designer" bag is "real" that they bought from a purse party...uh...no...see the stitching?? no...not designer...sorry...
    AND my other pet peeve is nasty old pedi's...if the nail polish is chipped and wearing thin...pah-leeze do not wear open toe shoes/sandals...
    =)
    great post...it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete